Remote Technology ResourcesMimi Cohen Dell | Office of Information Technology Mar 13, 2020
Last Friday, you received a message from OIT about the university firewall network security system upgrade to new hardware on Friday, March 20, from 7 – 11 pm. We are postponing this update so that university technology and services can be continuously available as needed for remote working and learning.
Technology tools you can use.
Technology makes remote working, teaching and learning possible through a variety of virtual tools to help faculty, students and staff from nearly anywhere at any time. Please visit the how to work, learn and teach remotely webpage for helpful information and links to tools.
What would you like to do?
All the Office 365 products that you likely use daily are available without having to access the university network and are both FERPA and HIPAA compliant. These applications are available by signing in using your university credentials at office.com.
• Everyday applications. Install Outlook email, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneDrive, Planner, OneNote, Teams and more on any device or use the software you select through the web-based option. You have many convenient choices with the university’s access to these applications. Quick access instructions are available on the OIT Office 365 webpage.
• Need to stay in touch? You can set up instant access to your university email from your phone or other personal device. Installation instructions are available on the Microsoft Office set up apps and email site.
• Want to set up a virtual meeting? Schedule and join a Zoom meeting. Zoom is a free web-conferencing tool for faculty, staff and students and can be set up on your computer or phone.
• Canvas, the university's learning management system, only requires internet access to log in using your university credentials.
You can access the CU system my.cu.edu with internet access only and you will sign in using your university credentials. You can also go to passport.ucdenver.edu to log in to university systems. If you need access to university information systems (such as HCM, PeopleSoft Finance, etc.), shared servers, and shared drives, you will need to access the university’s network using either:
• Virtual Private Network (VPN) with GlobalProtect or
• Remote Desktop and Applications with VMware Horizon
With both of these options, multi-factor authentication with Duo is required to access university resources. Be sure to install these tools in advance so that you are comfortable using them away from campus.
OIT is committed to providing robust services and technology to support each faculty, staff, researcher and student and we continue preparations as decisions regarding the COVID-19 situation evolve. Take good care of yourselves and please contact our Service Desk team at any time via phone 303.724.4357, chat online at oitsupport.ucdenver.edu, or email email@example.com for technical-support assistance.