Our name matters
The correct and consistent use of our name across all communications and media is essential to building awareness and reinforcing our identity.
FULL NAME / FIRST USE:
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
SHORT NAME / SUBSEQUENT USE:
CU Anschutz Medical Campus
All other uses or variations are unacceptable, including:
- AMC, UC, UCD, HSC (no acronyms)
- Anything using "Denver" (except certain legal documents and paperwork)
- Health Sciences Center, Medical Center, Fitzsimons
- at Anschutz, @Anschutz (no "at" or symbol)
- hyphens or commas before "Anschutz"
School and unit names
Consistent naming doesn’t end with the university. Maintaining a consistent and proactive approach toward the correct naming of CU Anschutz's schools, centers and units is just as essential.
Schools and colleges
For first use, always use the full school name. Subsequent uses, or those directed at familiar audiences, may use the appropriate school acronym (in parentheses) instead.
- School of Medicine (SOM)
- School of Dental Medicine (SDM)
- College of Nursing (CON)
- Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH)
- Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SOP)
- Graduate School
Centers and units
Center and unit naming conventions vary, depending on individual unit needs and practices. To maintain consistency, conserve space and increase viewer retention, the terms “office of” and “department of” should be excluded from unit names whenever possible. For example:
- Marcus Institute for Brain Health
- Gates Center for Regenerative Medicine
- Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes
- National Mental Health Innovation Center
- Advancement (versus Office of Advancement)
- Student Affairs (versus Division of Student Affairs)
- Information Technology (versus Office of Information Technology)